Submitting to Locust is a simple and easy process and can be done a variety of ways. We accept submissions via the submit page on our website (here), direct to our email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or via the submission box on Tumblr. Easy, right? There’s some stuff we need to know first, though. With your submission, please include:
- The name or alias you wish to be published under
- The category of your work
- Your location, real or fictional (have fun with this! a favorite of mine was “a cardboard voice box”). If you choose not to use a location, your work will be labeled “from a location unknown”
- Necessary trigger/content warnings
- Don’t forget a title! (yes, “untitled” works)
- The body of your submission
- Whether or not you’re cool with your work being posted not only to our site, but also to our social media either in entirety or as an excerpt.
That’s it! Wait, no that’s not. Before you submit, please take a look at our rules:
- No graphic or explicit description of sex
- No graphic or explicit description of violence
- Sexist/racist/homophobic/transphobic/etc language will only be permitted if it is under the context of a marginalized person speaking about their experiences. Essentially: if you were the target in the past and you wish to express yourself via your work, that’s fine, but please include a trigger warning. If you are using your work to target others, that is completely unacceptable.
- Hate speech and slurs fall under the above category
- Please be respectful of others. Abuse and callouts will not be tolerated.
- If your work contains sensitive content, please add trigger warnings. The mods will add these themselves if it’s necessary, but you adding those yourself would be massively helpful.
That’s it for real! Happy posting!
Thanks for contributing, and it will be up as soon as we see it! (We will be posting some general hours eventually. Maybe. We’re not known for our functionality here. Please understand that.)